Saturday, December 09, 2006

Funny Undies?

Many people of faith wear symbols of their faith. Hindu women may wear a red dot on thier forehead, while nuns wear the habit. Catholic priests, and other pastors wear a white collar. Other Christians wear a cross, usually on a necklace. Muslims wear certain wraps and headgear. What is the purpose of these unique clothes? Some wear them to make others aware of their faith, while most wear them to remind themselves of certain commitments they have made either to God or to their faith, or to certain principles of their faith or value system. For those who wear these symbols as a reminder to one's self of his or her commitments to follow God, or of his or her relationship to God, would it make a difference whether it is worn for others to see?

I bring this up because it appears that Mitt Romney is gaining momentum as a viable candidate for the presidency. It is inevitable that the issue of the garment would come up, as it already has for him. As he becomes more and more well known, questions about his faith will become newsworthy, and many of us may be confronted with the question about our "funny underwear." I have had a tendancy to shun the issue, as it is really nobody's business what I am wearing under my clothes, but my sweet wife reminded me that it is nothing to be defensive about, and presented the above explanation, which I found to be an amazing reminder as to why I wear the garment.

2 comments:

Phae-Jae said...

I like how your wife thinks....oh, sorry did I say that out loud? Love ya!

Matt said...

Yeah, a couple of weeks ago my barber is all like, so can I ask you a personal question. He's total born again and thinks the Church of Jesus Christ is a cult etc. etc. So he scratches his head when I ask questions like "Was Christ praying to himself in the garden? on the cross? talking about himself after being baptized? I'm not trying to be mean, but I just have never understood the whole thing. So of course he gets a pass for asking if I wear the garment.

The Numbers Are In