Friday, September 04, 2009

My Personal Protest - Update

Last night, I called Bank of America's 800 number. A very nice, polite young man helped me get one overdraft fee refunded. With the account I had signed up for, you are entitled to a "Stuff Happens" refund. Then he very clearly explained that he as a customer service representative was not the person with the authority to refund any others. Catching on to his suggestion, I told him I guessed I better talk with someone who does. "So, are you asking to talk with my supervisor (who has the authority)?" he clarified. "Sounds good, sir." I replied.

Shelby then came on the line. I remember her name because I was sure to use it a number of time during our one hour conversation. She politely explained to me how this system was designed for my benefit. I politely explained to her how this system didn't seem to be benefitting me, and that it seemed more for Bank of America's benefit. She replied that if Bank of America was intent on scamming its customers out of their money, she was sure there were other ways to do it. I replied that seems like the most effective so far. I explained to her that I wasn't asking her to change the system. If it works for some customer's benefit, great. But in the instances where it does more harm, wouldn't it make sense to correct that individual account for that particular situation. I said that the bank would still be able to retain some of its overdraft fees, but it wouldn't kill the customer in the process. She said that if the bank were to do that, everyone would be calling everytime they got an overdraft fee. I said no they wouldn't. Most people don't want to bother with, get frustrated, and then go on with their lives. Of those that do challenge it, most will quit after the first "No". But at least you would be helping those who unexpectedly get hit with $200-$400 in overdraft fees because of one large overdraft. She finally decided she just wasn't willing to help me. I told her she had the opportunity right here to save a customer and help salvage Bank of America's rapidly declining image. She decided it wasn't worth it.

Today I went back to work picketing the bank. Later, I went back inside to see if Patrick had changed his mind about keeping my money. He smiled and reminded me that he was half brain-dead. He insisted that he had proven to me that I did not have the money in the account to cover all those charges. I reminded him that I, in fact, did have the money to cover those charges. He assured me that was merely my opinion, to which I defined the difference between opinion and fact (I figured he must have struggled through his public education). He laughed and told me he was keeping the money. I didn't laugh, and reminded him that it was not his money and that I wanted it back. At that point, I noticed his very nervous hand punch three numbers on his cell phone and wait to push the send button. I politely informed him of the customers I had discouraged from opening an account with his bank, and the others who will be closing their accounts. He laughed again... keeping his shaking hand on the send button. I figured I'd be back another day, so I left.

The positive from all of this has been the many people who have shared their stories of hopelessness and anger caused by the nonsensical, cold hand of the Bank of America. I know of only one person who is neutral on the Bank of America. I now know of many who have an abiding hatred of this institution. I hope that they can find ways to deny this stupid monster of their money.

If there is any way possible for you to find another bank, please do so immediately. Open an account with that bank, get all your deposits and direct payments set up, and then walk into the Bank of America and loudly proclaim your intent to cancel all your accounts. Demand the money in cash, immediately, or be immediately transferred to your new bank, "the one that wants my business." When they ask you why you are cancelling, tell them loudly that it is because they do not deserve to be in business. They need to be knocked down to main street level to be given a reminder of what life is really about.

The government was afraid to let banks fail. This has given them a false sense of importance. Together, we may not cause them to fail, but we can sure support the smaller banks who appreciate your business and want to help... and make money.

No comments:

The Numbers Are In