Monday, March 31, 2008

Squeeky Cheese

It's here! It's here!

A great blast from my past!

It was supposed to be here Friday, but no one was home to welcome it. The anticipation was too great, and I succumbed to strep throat. It knocked me out all week.

As I was lying here, on my death bed, pondering my very existence, I heard the rumble of a large truck, followed by the screeching of brakes. Mrs. The Practicalist looked at me with big eyes, and said simply, "It's here!" With those words, I suddenly jumped up and landed in my pants (perfect shot) and booked it to the front door, at the exact moment as the double-knock (a knock which had become familiar to us during the Christmas season). Mrs. P opened the door to my view, and there stood the man in brown.

"I just have the one package today," he said. He looked into my eyes, and knew he had one more satisfied customer.

As the door closed, I was in the process of ripping the box open. As the flaps separated, the music cued up: Cheese! Glorious Cheese!

There before my eyes sat FOUR pounds of beautiful yellowish-orange mild cheddar cheese curds.


Now, Mrs. The Practicalist had actually purchased a smaller shipment for Valentine's day. And it was a wonderful surprise, indeed. And they were the first curds I had had in many years.

So what was so special about these?

I grew up in Northern Utah, Cache Valley, to be exact. On the other side of the mountain was a dairy. One day, my mom came home with a big bag of the greatest snack I have ever had in my entire young life. It squeaked as we chewed it, and the flavor was so unique and pure.

We move away when I was still very young. A few years ago, the food channel went to a state fair in Wisconsin and mentioned this "squeaky cheese" that was all the rage there. All of a sudden, I tasted that scrumptious flavor, felt that spongy texture, and heard that soft squeak of the cheese as I sat on the front porch with my brothers passing the bag around.

Well, I found that dairy on line. I ordered that cheese. And I now hold a bag of it, and have to keep wiping off my keyboard.

No.

No.

Get your own!

9 comments:

Phae-Jae said...

Stop hogging it...sick boy!

mindyluwho said...

I can taste it right now...*squeek squeek*...mmmmmmm.

Last summer I had to take the oldest boy out to EFY in Logan. Of course first on my stop after dropping him off was to visit the Cheese Factory and buy a few bags of the cheesy goodness!

I didn't know you could order it...I'm gonna have to look into that!

Hey It's Di said...

I just came over from your cute wife's blog to tell you to get well! I think that you will get better quickly with that squeeky cheese though! YUM! I live in Utah and have great childhood memories of my parents bringing home that wonderful treat! I love that stuff and still can't wait to break into a package when I get some:)

The Practicalist said...

Yes, you can order it... if you don't mind paying $8 per pound for cheese. I think there is something to be said for getting it fresh out of the dairy, too, because I'm having a hard time getting much squeak out of the cheese. No, it's not rotten, it tastes great and all, and from what I've read, it will last at room temp for quite a while, but I sure would like to get some fresh. I just don't want to buck up the $25 for overnight shipping.

Ramona said...

I sure hope your feeling better soon but please try and enjoy your sick days you really don't get that much time off.

Nancy Face said...

So sorry you're sick! I'm hoping you get well soon! :(

Ramona said...

http://www.osceolacheese.com/catalog/index.php

I found this place and it isn't THAT far from you.

1/2 a Dozen said...

Oh ... you're a saint! I have fond memories of that from when I was a little girl living in Utah. For some reason though, I remember a guy with a large hat, pulling along a wooden cart with wagon wheels ... maybe I made that up somewhere.

Elizabeth said...

What are you talking about. Cheese doesn't squeak. Am I the only one who read this and didn't know what you were talking about? I guess that's the downfall of being an Okie instead. No Utah memories here.

The Numbers Are In