Wednesday, March 05, 2008

My Dear Psychosis

The Congress is again taking up the challenge to require health care providers to cover mental health. Can you imagine how much this will increase the cost of health insurance?! I am not disagreeing that there are legitimate psychological disorders. I've seen a few. I've also seen a lot of attention-seeking, behavior-justifying, hypo-psycho-condriacs.

I read a case just recently in Arkansas where a man took his former daughter-in-law to court to enforce "grandparent visitation" rights. When the mom resisted, he had the court require psychological evaluations. His psychologist diagnosed the mom with a case of "seeing herself as more than others see her" and something like "dependent out-to-get-me-itis" where you allow someone else's "out-to-get-me-itis" enhance your own "out-to-get-me-itis." This was apparently enough for the court to declare that grandpa was better fit than the mom whom the grandpa had badgered to crap out of to get to see his grandkids. That alone is enough for another blog. What got me was the diagnoses. Unless you are depressed, you probably think others think of you more than they actually do. I didn't realize that was an illness. I better go see a psychiatrist to see if he can't help me get depressed so I can see him to try to help me get over my depression. And wouldn't it seem that if your father in law has been somewhat abusive, and takes you to court every time your schedule doesn't allow you to take the grandkids over to his house, and then sends the cops after you when you take the kids out of state (the kids' dad was dead, so she wasn't running from him), and then moves the court to take your kids, you would feel a little like maybe, just maybe, he had something out for you?
So, if everyone is psychologically ill to some degree, do you really think it would be fiscally wise to cover it in a standard health insurance plan? Is it too much to ask that, if you really fear that you will have mental health problems, maybe you could buy mental health insurance? Do they offer that kind of insurance, or can I just keep a running tab with my shrink's office? I'll ask him next time. I know he is thinking of me right now. He might even be out to get me.

1 comment:

glen said...

One of the biggest cost factors to health Insurance is the requried add ons that cost the buyer. It O K when Hillery is president it all will be Free! FREE FREE!

The Numbers Are In