Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Why I Respect Mitt Romney

As I am watching the Super Tuesday returns, and getting frustrated, I came across this posting on VoteMitt4Prez. It helped put things in perspective, reminding me that while what happens in the political arena is extremely important, the way we conduct ourselves as followers of Christ is what is important.

I just finished watching a movie titled "Amazing Grace" about William Wilberforce, the man who spearheaded the abolition of the British Slave Trade, which passed in 1807. After many years of difficult and frustrating setbacks, the trade was abolished by an overwhelming majority. One long-time parliamentarian stood to state something like the following:

When history speaks of great men, they are usually war heroes. Napoleon would be coming home to great fanfare and pomp. But when he goes to bed, he will have memories of war and bloodshed. However, when William Wilberforce leaves these chambers, he will go home to his wife and children. And when he lays his head on his pillow, he will know that he ended the slave trade.

All the glory in the world will never replace the quiet, reverent, and respectful worship of one's Lord.

1 comment:

Elizabeth said...

I am glad to have read that blog. It puts a peaceful perspective on him and I hope he runs again in the furture and gains more support.

As for "Amazing Grace", I loved that movie and agree with what you said.

The Numbers Are In