Sunday, February 11, 2007

Patches, the Saddest Song I'll Never Hear

Have you ever had a song that just stuck in your head, but all you knew of it was a couple of lines? I had heard this song a long time ago, on an old 45 rpm. I don't remember where we had gotten it, and I have no idea whatever happened to it. But it struck me then as perhaps the saddest song I would ever hear in my entire life, and I have never been able to shake it. I have not heard it in probably 25 years or longer. All I could remember were a few lines from the chorus: "Patches, I'm depending on you son. To something, something, something..." And that was it. Every now and then, I would ask some old timer country music afficianado, and I guess it didn't stick with anyone else like it did with me, because no one had any idea what I was talking about. The best anyone could remember was a different song called 'Patches' about some girl. Well, that one was by Dickey Lee from 1962, but it wasn't my sad, sad song.

I love the internet! After sporadic diligence, I finally have uncovered the mystery. Well, most of it, anyway. My song, the one I have sought my entire life, is also called 'Patches' and was written and performed by Clarence Carter. Unfortunately, all I can find are the lyrics. One day, I just know that I will hear that beautiful, sad song again. With my luck, it will come on just as I have to get out of the car because I am already running late. But at least will know the lyrics.

1 comment:

mindyluwho said...

I remember this song! Been years since I heard it...sad, sad song. You can buy it on iTunes.

The Numbers Are In