Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Losing Is Everything

Today is January 1, 2008. Today, I weigh 255 pounds. Today I am 6 ft 3 inches tall. Today, I sat around, watching football and eating cheese and crackers, chips, and sodas. Today, I did very little to improve my life. Today is the last day I will ever say such a thing.

This time next year, I will weigh 215 pounds. This time next year, I will sit around and watch football, because that is what I enjoy doing. This time next year, I will not be eating cheese and crackers, chips, and sodas. This time next year, I will do something to improve my life.

I am tired of being overweight. I am tired of getting bigger. I am tired of making jokes about my jolly belly. I am tired of breathing heavily after walking up a flight of stairs. I am tired of being afraid of playing football in the Turkey Bowl because I can't run more than 15 yards. I am tired, and I am tired of being tired.

I am what I am because I have made myself what I am. For the most part, I am proud of what I am. But what I am is not necessarily what I see while shaving.

No more. I like me. My wife likes me. My kids like me. I want to be around to see if I can get some grandkids to like me.

I will keep you updated on my progress, and my set-backs, so check in every now and then.

3 comments:

MAE said...

I hear the cool kids work out at the UofA gym between classes.

mindyluwho said...

I like you Sammy!

I like your line, "what I am is not necessarily what I see while shaving." I can relate, well, not about the shaving part, but about who I am that others don't see.

Big Mac said...

I to am tired, and am going to do something about my health. I will. I want to know what you are going to do.

The Numbers Are In