Tuesday, January 01, 2008

Mitt Props

I found this well-written commentary on Mitt's "Religion Speech". I never saw the speech (I'll be looking for it on-line), but from various comments, it sounded like a winner.

I like the Huckster. But I learned a long time ago that the guy who goes out of his way to tell you he is a Christian is someone from whom you should flee, especially if he wants your business. Conversely, I have known some wonderful people who I knew were Christian, and with whom I would gladly do business again. Walk the walk, and that walk will talk for you.

1 comment:

mindyluwho said...

I just watched the speech and was impressed by it. I have had a hard time getting behind him because he seemed reticent to talk about his religion when questioned, almost like he saw it as a liability. But this speech answered some of the questions I've been asking of 'why'. I think that he defined well what his stance was concerning the seperation of church and state. I especially liked these quotes,

"I am an American running for President. I do not define my candidacy by my religion. A person should not be elected because of his faith nor should he be rejected because of his faith."

and,


"As a young man, Lincoln described what he called America's 'political religion' – the commitment to defend the rule of law and the Constitution. When I place my hand on the Bible and take the oath of office, that oath becomes my highest promise to God."

From what I am hearing, he is saying that seperation of church and state is leaving your particular way of worshipping at the door, but keeping the morals and values that are defined by your religion in tact. Our country was founded on the moral values that come from the Creator and without them we will fail.

I guess he's behind Huckabee in Iowa...the race is on.

The Numbers Are In