Monday, June 02, 2008

August Rush

My Initial Expectations: Boring chick flick.
Reality: I found myself intrigued from the beginning. Although the story became somewhat predictable as it progressed, the "just how is it gonna happen" kept my attention. That, and the music. Oh, the music. I have always had this fascination for the many genres of music for the same song. This one takes the cake. There is this interesting blend between a rock band and a cellist that can best be explained only by watching the movie. All throughout the flick, the music is captivating, beautiful, and uplifting. I seldom consider soundtracks, but would love to have this one.

Surprisingly, Robin Williams was not overly obnoxious in this one. Keri Russell was perfect for the part, with her somewhat distant, mysterious, oblivious gazes. Freddie Highmore played incredibly convincingly, and Jonathan Rhys Meyers is much more believable than his doppelganger Toby Maguire (Spider Man).

This is definitely a chick flick, but one worth watching. If you're in the mood for action or comedy, this will not do. For an interesting take on the "reunion of lost souls" storyline, or just to appreciate the excellent music, this is certainly one I would recommend you don't miss. Just keep the Kleenex close by.

Practicalist Rating: 4.5 Stripes (out of 5)

No comments:

The Numbers Are In