Sunday, June 01, 2008

Candidate, Order of the Thin Blue Smoke?


Awesome Ribs!!!

After much (tasty) research, I believe I have nearly perfected the art of the rib. At least on the taste side.

I have nearly perfected the rub, adding the perfect combination of sweetness and spice, without distracting from the natural flavor of the meat. For a long time, there has been this very slight bitter after-taste that I thought might have been from the creosote from excessive smoke. While I think that may have been part of it, I also attribute it to a little too much paprika and other spices. This forced me to change up the formula, which I think turned out to be a good thing. I also don't coat the meat quite as heavily.

To fight that bitterness, I also try to use larger pieces of wood. I have decided I don't like wood chips, and only use chunks when I can't secure logs. My theory is that the initial combustion of the wood is where the unwanted creosote comes in. When the smoke is thick and white, it coats the meat, rather than penetrates. The chips are all about the initial combustion. Once the white smoke clears, the wood is pretty much used up. The larger the chunks, the more good flavor I'll get out of it. Once the wood is heated up, the oils and moisture have been extracted, and real flavor just slowly seeps out. The ideal smoke is thin and blue, which comes from the coals, and not the flames. The best batch, so far, was smoked with some old pecan wood (thanks, Glen!).

I have also concocted a liquid to add to the braising process. I am still working on the best combination of ingredients, but it still comes out really good. Once the braising is done, I drain the juices into a sauce pan and condense it down to a glaze, which I then brush onto the meat for the last 30 minutes. This not only adds a delicious sweetness, but it helps with the presentation, as well. It kind of takes away from the blackness, giving the ribs that beautiful red glazed look.

I want to get ready for competition. I think I am nearly there, but want to show some consistency first.

Of course, the best way to become consistent is to just keep right on SAMokin'...

(Anyone wishing to donate hickory or pecan may certainly do so, in one-foot pieces.)

4 comments:

glen said...

Your welcome. I hear whit oak is real good.
I got my grill together yesterday and will try my first this week end.

Glen

Elizabeth said...

This really makes me hungry. I hope you plan a visit this way soon-but I don't have a smoker, just a handy little grill thing.

mindyluwho said...

My appetite and I are coming your way soon!

The Practicalist said...

Looking forward to it, Mindylu. Maybe you can fix up a batch of homemade bread for the occasion?

The Numbers Are In