Thursday, August 28, 2008

Does Anybody Really Know What Time It Is? Does Anybody Really Care?

OK. So I find this video report about the protests planned for the GOP convention, and the first line says, "If you think actions toward protesors against Democrats were big, wait until you see what's planned for the RNC convention next week."

So I says to myself, "Self," I says, "do you recall any news coverage of protests in Denver?"

"Well, not really," I answer. "Maybe I was just watching the wrong channel."

So, I google "protesters at DNC", and here, I discover why I didn't see any news coverage. There were no protestors!

That's right folks, none... save a few here and there. And they weren't even protesting against the convention, really.

How can this be? Well, uh, it's because the cost of gasoline has prevented people from making it. Yeah. I mean, it's in Denver. You'd have to drive, or fly, and and and they just can't afford to do that.

Young people - who have no families to care for, drive cheap cars, and usually buddy up to share rent - can't afford to drive to Denver?

I think they were a little closer to the reality of the situation when they mentioned that these young people don't think protesting is very effective. They just see people standing outside doing nothing and getting arrested, and then nothing changes.

I thought Obama was the inspiration to millions that change can happen.

Maybe young kids are just realizing how stupid it is to stand outside chanting stupid chants and holding cardboard signs. Or, maybe no one's volunteering to bring the beer.

Or maybe, just maybe, its just not that important to them.

No comments:

The Numbers Are In