Friday, October 17, 2008

What They Are Not Saying

Poll: Voters souring on McCain, Obama stays steady

This was the headline on Yahoo! this morning.

I took a look at it. The story basically correctly outlines the results of certain polling questions asked during this survey. It correctly points out that voters have changed their level of confidence in some aspects of John McCain.

Doesn't look too good, does it?

Aw Crap! I think, as I prepare myself for a four to eight year sentence of life under Hussein, followed by an undetermined number of years of clean up. Out of boredom, and curiosity, I click on the link that takes me to the actual poll results.

As with many polls, it starts out making sure the respondents are dissatisfied with the economy, government, and your president. (Sort of the set up for what is to follow?)

Eventually, it gets down to asking how the respondents were going to vote.

Question: "If the 2008 general election for President were being held today these were the candidates, would you vote for..."

Results: (they had the respondents divided up into waves, so each number represents a different wave of respondents)
Barack Obama, the Democrat 34 37 40 40 42
John McCain, the Republican 35 35 36 41 39
Bob Barr, the Libertarian - - 1 1 2
Ralph Nader, the independent 3 2 2 2 1
Someone else (specify) 5 3 3 2 1
Don’t know 22 22 17 14 15
Refused / Not Answered 0 0 0 0 0

It then asked those who said they didn't know, it then asked who they tend to lean toward, if they had to choose...

Answer:

Barack Obama, the Democrat 14 16 12 14
John McCain, the Republican 18 17 21 18
Bob Barr, the Libertarian - 1 1 1
Ralph Nader, the independent 3 3 0 1
No, don’t lean toward any of
these candidates 26 28 20 20
Don’t know 39 34 45 45
Refused / Not Answered 1 1 1 2

It then went on to ask about the things the article was written about.

Take a look at those numbers...
Barak starts out at about 39 to McCain's 37.

Of those still undecided, who admit to a leaning, they tend to favor McCain by 4.5 points.

That looks like a pretty good horse race, to me.

Wouldn't that make for a pretty good story?

3 comments:

Shaw Kenawe said...

Okay, I'm convinced.

John McCain will be the next president.


:-)

The Practicalist said...

A dumba$$ and a smarta$$ embodied in one a$$.

In one sense, I envy you Shaw. If I were lib, I could get thru life ignoring any fact that doesn't support my lifestyle or self-centered point of view. I could sneer at people with values and join passionate causes to calm my self-loathing. I could make up stories to scare people into seeing it my way. I could disavow everyone who got me where I am in order to get even further.

I could justify trampling the Constitution, or the Bible, in my vain attempt to twist it in my favor, ignoring every value embodied in those works, just so I could win.

I could win at all costs. I could place winning as my ultimate goal, damn the consequences... even if those consequences include sacrificing this great country at the alter of world acceptance.

I could justify my impoverished condition by blaming those evil rich entrepreneurs for exploiting my lack of ambition for their own gain. I could support efforts to get some of their wealth for myself.

I could watch network television news again, and get chills every time that perky little newscaster bats those lashes at me, because then I wouldn't be bothered with those pesky little facts, or other points of view.

I wouldn't have to bother standing up for the Star Spangled Banner, or attending parades to honor those great men and women who put their lives on the line for my right to pity them.

I wouldn't have to bother voting, because I would know that someone else is doing that for me... again and again and again.

I could be as loose with my morals as I want, since no one is expecting me to be anything else.

I could even demand that God change his mind and will to match mine.

What a life you must lead.

shoprat said...

I hope, and consider it very possible, that president Barak Obama will go down alongside of President Tom Dewey.

The Numbers Are In