Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Persecution... Bring it on

I want to thank The Educated Shoprat for bringing this to my attention. I was actually not aware that this was even being produced. I would like to thank Michael Medved for his very insightful and respectful treatment of the Mormon faith and reaction (or non-reaction) to this very inflammatory depiction of an admittedly tragic error in the history of the LDS Church.

It is unfortunate that people can hold on to a grudge that, actually, has very little, if any, effect on their present lives. Living in Arkansas, I have spoken to relatives, as distant as they may be, of the murdered wagon train. I understand that they may never gain a respect for the religion. But to continue to be so angry about it is, in my opinion, nothing more than a justification for repudiating the Mormon faith.

My predecessors suffered extreme depravities, endured pain and hardship, including the deaths of sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, at the hands of murderous mobs. While those people had every right to be angry, I do not. I have suffered humiliation, degredation of reputation, "corrections" to my core beliefs, banishment from Heaven, banishment from social acceptance, among other consequences because I have elected to remain in the faith.

I think I am a good guy. I get along with most people. If you were to ask people who know me, or know of me, they would probably tell you that I'm pretty decent. Amazingly, some of those people will immediately disavow me the moment they discover my Mormonistic inclinations. But as Mr. Medved pointed out, I have no intention of recruiting some 12 year old Deacon to strap bombs to himself to vindicate this affront to my faith.

5 comments:

Joubert said...

Very nicely put. I'm a heathen so everybody's religion is strange to me - including my own. I judge people by character and I can't remember ever meeting an evil Mormon.

shoprat said...

Thanks for the mention. I should mention that my family is Mormon on my mother's side and most of them are very good people.

mindyluwho said...

Isn't it funny how the PBS special that aired awhile back, the polygamy show and this movie coincide with a Mormon running for President?

I've been out of town and am just catching up on reading blogs and emails and have been enjoying reading your posts Sam. I'm curious as to who you are looking to back for the election? Have you taken a look at Ron Paul? He's not well publicized but I kind of like his back to the constitution approach.

The Practicalist said...

I'm not sure who I am backing.

I have looked at Ron Paul, and there is a lot of internet buzz surrounding him. However, he is not faring well. I suppose at this point, there are several candidates I sort of like, and would not be disappointed with if they got the nomination.

I am impressed with Romney. I think all this hype about him being a flip-flopper is not much more than hyperbole, justification for someone already not wanting to back him. Understandable, perhaps, but anyone who questions it merely has not looked into his reasons for the changes of heart and conscience. Those arguments don't hold much water with me. Contrast that with Kerry, whose changes of heart cannot be rationally explained away as anything more than political maneuvering.

McCain, surprisingly, is seeming somewhat viable. I have had numerous occasions to be impressed with his explanations of his positions, especially when it comes to this war. I do not like his campaign gagging law, however.

I have always liked Brownback, but he may a little too fringe.

Huckabie may be another Jimmy Carter dark-horse who emerges from obscurity to capture the religious and centrist vote.

Hillary can have the presidency if she promises to catch pneumonia and die within 30 days of her inaugural address. She would also have to name someone like Bill Richardson or John McCain as her running mate.

My office manager likes Obama, but can't give me very good explanation of just why.

I am a practicalist. That means that while I like ideals, my vote will go with the person who can best demonstrate on a practical level where those unattainables can be brought a little closer. Not realized, necessarily, but more realistically applied.

Anonymous said...

I don't like Brownback. He's been running a smear campaign that raises the hackles on my neck. It's as if he's decided that the only way to receive any attention at all is if he pounds other candidates for things that aren't true and he *knows* aren't true. I don't want that kind of slimebag running our country. Can you tell he makes me mad? ;-)

If I had to vote for someone else other than Mitt (who is the guy I'm cheering on) it would either be Huckabee (I've liked him from the first debate) or Paul (I too like his idea of going back to the basics. I don't think he's electable, however, and I think his ideas on the Iraqi War is too much to swallow.)

As for the article you linked to, I loved it. Very well written. Thank you Michael Medved, I truly appreciate it.

Havs
www.votemittforpresident.com

The Numbers Are In