Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Six of One...

I apologize if the music you are hearing is a little grinding on the nerves. I kind of like it, and there is a reason it is playing now. I have always thought it was pretty cool when the same song gets made in different ways. Music is awesome that way. Don't like a song, change it to fit your style. Don't like a style, but like the song, change it to your style.

One of the most versatile songs has to be "Somewhere Over the Rainbow", as you can see from the playlist. I don't expect anyone to suffer through the entire versions of all those. But take a moment to tap on each of them, and see what I mean. Some, like what you are listening to now, are rock based and loud. Some have changed the intro, but kept the main tune. I think IZ (Israel Hakinakinakiolo'aloha) has one of the most interesting, and beautiful, versions. I first heard it at the end of a movie (don't get me to lying about which one), and loved it.

This song has been through Hollywood musical, blues, rock, country, Broadway, adult contemporary, big band, et al. It has been twisted, pulled, pushed, hurried, slowed, mangled, straightened every which way but loose. It is a timeless tune. Many a version has been mimicked by big names and small, alike. Through it all, though, there are still only a handful that can never be topped.

Have fun, see what you think. Enjoy.

2 comments:

mindyluwho said...

Very fun to listen to all the different versions! I agree with you, I love the IZ version, I've heard it to, and now it's going to bug me as to which movie it is from!

shoprat said...

Judy Garland's rendition of it, I believe was in the top 10 English language recordings of the 20th Century. Going on memory here so could be wrong.

The Numbers Are In