Friday, September 07, 2007

Run, Fred, Run


Well, Freddy joined the hunt. I know he's done well in the blogosphere, and he has been campaigning outside of the campaign, which people really love. (I think it results from a fear of jumping on a bandwagon, and losing credibility in conversations.) I'm not sure how that will translate in the real world. I can't say as I am an avid fan. I just don't see him as president. On one hand, I fear that his appearance and mannerisms will result in another Bob Dull campaign. On the other hand, where Dole was a liberal Repub, Thompson is certainly not.

What I do like is the perspective he brings to the mix of candidates. This is always good. I like that he admits that he does not have all the answers to our problems, but that no one else does, either. I think that he brings a level of practicality to the field. If the others are smart, and I think some of them are, they will analyze why he has such support, and find a way to internalize some of his platform into their own. If they can pull it off without being disingenuous (and I think it can be done at this early stage), they can nab some of his support, add it to what they already have, and emerge as a viable candidate.

I really don't think there is such a divergence between him and Romney, that Romney can't garnish Fred's supporters. As I've said before, Romney is more winnable in the North, while not necessarily loseable in the South. Fred will have a harder time in the North, especially in some states (MA?) where the Repub would need to grab votes.

Most of their stances are pretty similar. True, Romney's have changed recently, but they honestly do not think the changes were disingenuous. Romney believes what he is campaigning on. Other than the Mormon issue, which Mitt will need to address again, the two aren't all that far apart.

What I am a little nervous about with Fred is that he appears ideologically driven. It may be unfair to say that without some more research on my part, but I'm going to say it here, anyway. I think, as Repubs, we have a good mixture of ideas. I only hope we do not allow ideology to overshadow reality. Sometimes reality is a harder sell, but it pays off well in the long run.

1 comment:

mindyluwho said...

Actually his name is spelled "Fredie" on his birth certificate, I heard that on the radio today.

I'm not sure where I am yet, I'm waiting to see how they all play out and who slams who. I hate it when they do that. I'd like someone to just state what they believe and what they will do without putting the other guy down. But that's probably asking too much!

The Numbers Are In